Thanks for replying.

nc in your command simply replaces ssh,  so I think this is the same
thing.   I am not using nfs, I cannot mount anything so it is raw, going
logical volume to logical volume.  They are slightly different sizes,
hope that will not kill anything.

The server that is being copied originally had an LVM so there is no
obvious conflict here.    I don't care whether it is fast,   it is a
recovery operation not a prime server.

Ta
Ken