david wrote:

lloyd wrote:
I was surprised to get a written reply from the Education Minister to my
enquiries on this matter. I quote below, which may shed some light on
the Department's decisions.

"The NSW Dept of Education & Training manages .... and currently
installs, in parallel with Microsoft Office suite, Open Office on all
Technology for Learning computers and runs appropriate servers on a
Linux base. In sourcing applications all avenues are explored to
identify the most appropriate and cost effective solution, taking into
account platform migration costs and interoperability with current
systems. ..... During the procurement process, a range of operating
systems and applications was offered to meet the Department's
requirements, including solutions based on Apple, Linux and Microsoft
platforms. ... It was determined that a Microsoft based solution best
met the Department's needs, particularly with respect to multimedia
applications."

I'm sad to say that there is probably some truth in this. I recently started messing with video, and ended up buying a Mac because video on Linux was simply too difficult for the amount of time I have to spend on it.

Not that it can't be done, but Apple make it EASY to do. I want to do video work, not system administration work.

Assuming that you are producing MPEG2/DVDs there is probably also a licensing
issue.

I would guess when they say multimedia, above, they mean flash. Though the NSW health department seems to have chosen to publishe video on their website in WMV. (Warning the video automatically downloads from this site and fires up Kaffiene in my config). Note also the ASP extension....
<http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/publichealth/swine_flu.asp>

compare this with:
> <!-- compliance patch for microsoft browsers -->
> <!--[if IE 6]>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="/TemplatePackage/js/A/blocks-ie6.js"></script> > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/TemplatePackage/css/A/threeColumn-float-ie.css" />
> <![endif]-->
in source code at:
<http://www.cdc.gov/?s_cid=swineFlu_outbreak_004>

For more about
Video on the Web see
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/web-video-formats.shtml>

Haven't tested the Video editing on the Linux 701 eee PC but the microphone
camera worked extremely well with skype!
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/eeepc-video-conference.shtml>

Linux colour management simply isn't good enough. GIMP is fine, and I use it a lot, but it's too restricted in the colour management area, and doesn't handle 16 bit.

Sound on Linux is patchy. There are too many times when I have to struggle to make it do what I want it to do.

That doesn't mean things won't change in the future. It's not so long ago that Gnome was a dog. Now it's my window manager of preference over MacOs or Windows.

And despite references to interoperability - I would guess the standard desktop
is Explorer rather than Firefox. Meaning webpages comply with Explorer rather
than open standards....

Marghanita