(sorry messed up the CC to the list)

Tony Sceats wrote:
> When Linux is booting, do you see the bios, the kernel and the init sequence on both screens, and then when X loads the second display goes to sleep, or is the second screen always asleep?

The second screen is always asleep.

From power on only the primary screen power light changes from orange to green and the Bios etc displays on that screen. Right up to the GDM login menu. The other screen remains with the power button orange. However if I disconnect the second screen from the cable it immediately goes into "Digital Input Test feature" mode. I.E the screen knows when it's connected. The software and driver also know it is connected because the nVidia config tool only shows a single screen when the second screen is disconnected. When I plug it in and select "Detect Displays" it immediately finds the second screen, correctly identifies it as a Dell 1907FP and allows me to configure it. So every thing seems to work as advertised, but the screen stays in sleep mode.

Incidentally I have an older box with a dual Matrox card analog display and the
screens worked perfectly with it in analog mode.

Google tells me that other users have had similar problems with dual screen nVidia cards (mostly windows users), but I haven't found anyone with quite the situation I've got (yet).

Thanks

Pete