Peter Chubb wrote:
Which nvidia driver are you using?  The free one or the proprietary
one?

The proprietary one from nVidia.

With the proprietary driver, you have to run nvidia-settings to enable
the external output.

Have run nvidia-settings and configured it every which way I can. Still no joy.

Am considering buying a DVi-VGA converter to see if that will cause the screen to fire up. Google reckons there are some issues with Dell DVI monitors, but don't have another DVI monitor available to see if that works (isolate the problem to the card or the monitor). Either the software/card doesn't send the "wake up" to the monitor, or the monitor is ignoring it. However, swapping the monitors around causes the "sleepy" monitor to work fine when it's the primary, so suspect that the card/software is not sending the "wake up" to the second screen. Or are there different kinds of "wake up" signals. I don't know enough about it, except that obviously the OS can send such a signal when the user moves the mouse or touches the keyboard. Don't know if there is a tool to do same manually. Maybe I'll try the "free" driver and see if it works but suspect that the free driver hasn't been reverse engineered enough to support dual screen mode. (no criticism of writers of free drivers implied, they've got a tough task when the vendor won't release the card specs).

Pete