Amos Shapira wrote:
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 09:36:47AM +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:
I'm looking for an Ethernet hub to be used for network troubleshooting
(trying to find which of our hosts is involved in the load on our
office uplink)

Hi Amos,

I might be a little late now... if you've progressed this far with the hub option you might as well go all the way now...

However, you are doing this the hard way. You don't need an ethernet hub if you already know where the traffic is going. All you need to do is investigate the traffic on your office uplink. Its possible that the device you use for the uplink already might give you this info... but if it doesn't, you should replace the uplink device with a Linux PC and just sniff the traffic from there. Starting from scratch this should take about 2 hours to complete (assuming it takes an hour to install your favourite flavour of Linux and you're not using mesh VPNs or other complex configurations). Ideally you would configure the Linux PC to be the local gateway, and then reconfigure the existing uplink device to provide the link between the Linux PC and outside.

If you want to really get your hands dirty, you could configure the Linux box with 2 interfaces as a bridge and simply insert it in between your switch and your office uplink. This would allow you to sniff the traffic without needing to change any IP configs on the existing network. (Ah, I see Rob Collins said something like this last week - "you can make a trivial two port switch out of a linux machine with brtools").

Cheers,
Marty