2009/8/23 jam <j...@tigger.ws>

> On Sunday 23 August 2009 10:00:05 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> > > <quote who="Marghanita da Cruz">

> > > Demise?! :-)
> >
> > I have to agree with Jeff: the only places I have really seen the shell
> > vanish it has been moving — albeit painfully slowly at times — to being
> > replaced by a more powerful programming model, universal scripting.
> >
> > For example, much of the traditional Unix shell use on MacOS has
> vanished,
> > replaced by OSA and AppleScript, or by Automator.  In KDE they are
> > gradually crawling towards more ubiquitous "desktop wide" scripting.  I
> > presume that GNOME is doing more or less the same.
>
> My daughter created the web page for her business on her Mac.
> It is hosted on my server. After a morning of her trying to sync the two
> with
> the myriad of buy-this-and-all-your-woes-are-over, on the phone I talked
> her
> through a Terminal, rsync with ssh. Gobsmacked ! now she just uses it all
> the
> time. http://honeytreephotography.com.au
> James

There are people out there who are accountants, designers, etc who just have
a natural technical aptitude that can be surprising - I get so pessimistic
about aptitude/attitude/whatever that it really can be surprising when you
come across one.  And then there are PHB's...

Maybe the command line will die when programmers (in general) no longer have
to write words to get things done, but instead push coloured blobs around on
the screen using a mouse.  :)

--
Daniel Bush