On 31/08/09 12:49, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:26:59AM +0800, jam (j...@tigger.ws) wrote:
On Sunday 23 August 2009 16:38:37 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
[snip]

The GUI paradigism allows people who have not learned to talk to computers to
communicate using pictures.
This picture mode is slow and cumbersome (imagine talking to a Russian, but
using pictures to convey your point)
I beg to differ.

Let me see. GUI stands for "graphic user interface" which does not mean
pictures and it doesn NOT mean slow and cumbersome ... and when I used my first
X windows (late 80's DEC station) I moved away from the shell only thing FAST
especially if you need to look after a number of apache servers, all in differnt
places/cities/countries and want to compare their httpd.conf's. You can
do that by ssh's into all of the machine using 4 xterms side by side.

You can't do that without a, what you call slow and cumbersome, GUI.

jobst

Well, you can, screen can do that for you, its just slow and cumbersome in comparison to a few mouse clicks. I'd like to see somebody do something creative in terms of video editing or gimp style artwork in a shell, sure it'd be possible but it would take forever to get the same result.

Heck doing any sort of visualisation of a decent data set would be impossible in a text shell.

Its horses for courses, I use text shells on servers and gnome on my desktop. Right now I have a ssh console on my left monitor and this email in thunderbird on my right.

Microsoft has gone to the trouble of introducing a new console/shell and there is even the option of running it alone (no gui) on some versions of their software (as far as i'm aware) so no, the shell isn't dead, its just more people are using linux that don't need to use the shell.