>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Bush <dlb.id...@gmail.com> writes:

Daniel> whoa jam!  Fanning the dying embers of this thread a bit
Daniel> aren't we!

Indeed.

When I was teaching basic Unix skills, we taught the shell as being
two things:  a shell around the kernel (think a nut) that allows users
to interact with the system, or a shell around the user (like a
hermit crab) through which the user interacts with the system.

The user's shell can be anything --- it can be a graphical desktop, or
a command line, or a single app. (think appliance mode systems).

For maximum versatility an interactive scripting language was
traditionally used as a user's shell --- the Bourne shell, the
C-shell, the Korn shell etc.  POSIX standardised on a shell not too
far from the Korn shell (basically, Bourne shell with some features
from tcsh and the System-V modified Bourne shell).

Nowadays, the user shell field in /etc/passwd is what's used as a
scripting language and what's run in an xterm, rather than the primary
way to interact with the system for most people.  And yes, one could
use python as a shell if one wanted to.

Peter C