LOL.
Thanks James for prefacing your comment with <in
old fart mode>
Loved it.
> jam <j...@tigger.ws>
wrote in <old fart mode>
> The GUI paradigism allows people who have not learned to talk to computers to
> communicate using pictures.
> This picture mode is slow and cumbersome (imagine talking to a Russian, but
> using pictures to convey your point)

I know you were only using this as an analogy but:
Imagine talking to anyone when you don't share a
language. That'd be a perfect example of where
pictures would come in highly useful and would
speed up communication - writing would be sooooooo
slooooooooow :) Imagine being in Papua New Guinea
in the 1930s and trying to explain to a highlander
what a photograph was by writing to them :)  Oh,
what about describing Salvador Dali's genius
without a picture :)

However Daniel beat me to it.

> As an example, graphical image editing tools generally allow faster editing of
> pictures than command line tools generally, because some limited cases are
> faster on the command line, so even this isn't clear-cut.

The ability of a GUI to provide immediate
reference points in an image, to show 'as you are
doing it' responses and to allow intricate detail
to be created cannot be surpassed. Weirdly, humans
are more oriented towards images than
text...though I do thank the Sumerian's etc for
their efforts.

All of this said, there are instances where the
CLI certainly provides an advantage over the GUI
for some actions in image management - I
occasionally us it for some video
editing/transcoding. However these advantages are
few relative to the multitude of instances wherein
a GUI is so much better - like painting a
moustache on the Mona Lisa, changing the colour of
someone's eyes, removing a complex pattern from a
picture, drawing a complex pattern and making
minor edits to it as you go.

<dismounting>

Regards,

Patrick