On Friday 28 August 2009 07:20:35 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
[snip]
> and another aspect of Unix, which seems to have repeated
> itself (or not?) with "unix-like" linux is the different flavours:
> Solaris, BSD, AIX, Ultrix (now apparently known as HPUX).
[snip]

These are legal issues not technical ones. There are two categories: licensed
(from the unix license holders) unix, but who may not use unix(c) to describe
their product eg AIX, HPUX (I worked for HP in the '80's and it was HPUX even
then) and things that work just like (or even better) than unix but which do
not derive from the source. eg minix, linux, bsd

Long long ago unix was given away to educational institutions. I do not know
how tainting with that affects current offerings.

James