Kevin Shackleton <kev...@reachnet.com.au> writes:

> or there is:
> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/
>
> 45 discs, 67 TB, under US$8k, in one box on SATA port multipliers.  50% over
> the cost of raw drives.  I don't suppose blazing speed was their primary
> goal, but security was up there.

Yeah, but.  Specifically, but, did you actually read about their plan for data
integrity?  They expect those storage things to fail left, right and center,
and use higher level software to replicate data safely on multiple nodes.

Not exactly the level of reliability you want if you only have a half-dozen of
those things, let alone less.  It works, in part, because "designed to fail"
is really good at a large scale, but not so great at small scale.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.