Hi Fellow Slugger,

Sorry for kinda dissapearing this year, just had some stuff on, and I am currently in the US.

I really need someone expert help.

I have a new setup on a laptop. It's a very nice Dell Precision M4400. I have been running Ubuntu 9.04 for 3 weeks now with no problems.

This morning I went to boot up my machine and got a weird gdm message "Could not start the X server....due to some internal error"

The only way I can boot into X is to do the following...

sudo mount -o remount, rw /

then I can run

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I get a message that there is already a session of X running blah blah, I say yes to start a new one and then I am in.

I have to kill whiptail once I start as the CPU is going nuts...

I am in the US working, i have a big next 4 days of training and would like to have my machine working.

I am currently doing a backup of my home directory and seriously thinking about doing an online upgrade to 9.10

Your help is really appreciated.

Scott