Hi Erik,

mmmm.....I think your right. I have looked through the syslog and couldn't find any issues, but now you've got me worried. Anyway I did a backup last night. Seems to be quite stable at the moment.

I wonder if when I passed the:

sudo mount -o remount, rw /

Then it wrote that to the /etc/fstab file?? and in my panic just missed it.

What other things would cause a EXT3 file system to go into read only?

Scott

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
Scott Waller wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. I went through the syslog file and couldn't find anything weird. Upon searching through other forums I found that in the /etc/fstab file a tag had been added:

UUID=147ae6d1-e380-42cd-9471-66882c374580 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-rw 0 1

So I just took out the errors=remount-rw and it works a treat.

I think it should have been "errors=remount-ro". If it was in fact
the right value then your filesystems was having errors and unless
you're ok with loosing data, you should probably figure whats wrong
and get it fixed.

Erik