Daniel Pittman wrote:
Sridhar Dhanapalan <srid...@dhanapalan.com> writes:
2009/11/8 Kevin Shackleton <kev...@reachnet.com.au>:

Save the environment - buy a NAS.
(my mirrored 2-disc NAS averages about 20 W)
That's a good suggestion. My reluctance to use a NAS myself stems from the
perception of less configurability.

Yup.  If you want something capable of the flexibility of a real OS your
options are very limited.  OTOH, do you really *need* that level of
flexibility from your storage system?

Are they any good and affordable NAS solutions out there that allow a decent
level of configurability and permissions-setting?

The Linksys NSS[46]000 series are entirely Linux underneath, and fully
source-available.  I have not actually used the hardware, but we prototyped
one ages ago and found it acceptable.

Otherwise, the DLINK DNS-[24]32 devices can also run Linux, or...

D Link do run linux, but hard to do anything on them, I wanted to do rsync, but it only accepts ftp.
Ken

OTOH, my preference would be to purchase external bulk storage in some sort of
NAS that did NFS[1], or perhaps that offered eSATA, and run it through the
central server *if* I needed a fancy set of permissions.

        Daniel

Footnotes: [1] Limited options, sadly, though any of the named ones should, and I
     believe the Drobo stuff does too.