I tried to flac a wav file yesterday on my ReadyNAS Duo (base model).
It was pitiful.  Far quicker (i.e. >> 10 *) from my fairly ordinary
(Celeron 2.6 GHz single core) NFS client connection to the data on the
NAS.  Definitely a processor set up for file serving only.  I guess
these units were built before the Atom.  With either whatever the CPU is
(cpuid won't apt-get) or the Atom, power (sorry, slaps wrist, I mean
_energy_) consumption is largely the discs.  Big difference on the meter
(http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K4600) when they
spin down.

Kevin.