Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

How? Messages when they logged into Facebook? Was there a tick box
that said "Yes, I understand the implications of these changes"?

There might have been. :) I can't remember to be honest.

What if someone wasn't able to log into Facebook between when the
warnings started and the change was made (sick on vacation, whatever)?
Did they send emails?  Did they require an acknowledgement email saying
"Yes, I understand the implications"?

There is a difference between telling people something and ensuring that they understand it. Frankly, ticking a checkbox means nothing more than than the user has read the message. That's important, but it's no proof of understanding.

Terry