On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:18:24PM +1100, Nigel Allen wrote: >
> Greetings
>
> I want to set up a pair of 1 TB drives on an HP DL145 G3 and I'm
> looking for suggestions as to the best way to partition them.
>
> Would I be best using software RAID and LVM? Given that it's a
> fairly busy machine (mail server for 40+ users) I'd like to achieve:
>
> 1) Speed
> 2) Reliability
> 3) Ease of maintenance.
>
> Anyone care to take a punt at a layout?

G3 has hardware RAID doesn't it?  That has one big advantage over software
RAID.  Ease of maintenance if one fails - you just pull it out, stick in
a same drive and it does recovery.  Linux need not know anything has happened.
So for 2 and 3 I'd go hardware RAID.

For 1. (speed) software RAID might have a slight advantage.  You also get
greatly improve flexibility - you don't have to mirror everything, right now.