david <da...@kenpro.com.au> writes:
> Ben Donohue wrote:
>
>> I have a requirement to have a FAX at home.
>>
>> I have vmware ESXi with CentOS virtual machines and would like to create a
>> FAX machine hooked into a modem to the phone line. However solutions like
>> Hylafax require a serial port but VMware does not support serial
>> ports. (yet)
>
> <quote>
> September 3, 2007. innotek today released VirtualBox 1.5.0 for Windows and
> Linux. <snip> Version 1.5.0 also adds support for serial ports
> </quote>
>
> That suggests that Virtualbox will do serial ports although it doesn't prove
> that it actually does - I haven't tried.  I do know from experience that you
> can switch an existing vmware virtual machine over to virtualbox and that it
> makes life a lot easier after you do.

I almost suggested something that made a similar assumption to you: that there
was a host Linux or Windows OS that could, for example, run additional
software.

I noted the ESXi designation, which is the minimal bare-metal hypervisor, and
doesn't run on top of another platform — so, moving would be a major, not
minor, shift.

[...]

>> I'm just looking for some solution to mostly SEND faxes... less of a must
>> having to RECEIVE faxes. But I suppose it should work both ways (in and
>> out) if possible.

[...]

>> I'm still searching but open to idea's. Perhaps someone has found a perfect
>> FAX solution already?

Last time I needed personal fax I used these folks: http://www.utbox.net/

Honestly, dealing with faxing, and Hylafax, for work makes paying someone else
to care still sounds like a *really* good deal to me.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707