Ken Foskey <kfos...@tpg.com.au> writes:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 06:08 +1000, Martin Visser wrote:

>> Jon's experience probably really demonstrates why Linux isn't going to go
>> mainstream anytime soon. While I would say 90% of people are going to have
>> hardware that just works with the most current release of most distros, it
>> is the 10% that have issues that really stings.

[...]

> Installed windows on non-mainstream machines lately.  You have to find
> drivers,  have conflicts of dlls and other things.

*nod*  The real problem is not that Linux is hard to install: Windows is just
as damn hard, and just as painful, for non-technical users.[1]

The problem is that when you buy your machine it comes with Windows installed
for you, by someone else, and you don't have to worry about it.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Heck, it sucks for technical folks too, a lot of the time.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707