To me the issue goes somewhat deeper: from my limited perspective as a hardware novice, I just can't see why different drivers are even necessary. As far as I can tell one wi-fi card does exactly the same things as any other wi-fi card: is is too much to ask that the hardware should be constructed so that it works with old software which is already out there and functioning perfectly well? I accept that when there are technological breakthroughs the drivers need to change; but what we seem to have at the moment is a rerun of the old Apple/Apricot/Microbee/Commodore/Amiga hardware wars with each (wi-fi card, scanner, printer...) manufacturer refusing to run software -- i.e. drivers -- just because it was made for a different piece of hardware. Surely making a new piece of hardware that will fit into an existing system should be the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer, not the user OR the operating system manufacturer. Isn't it a bit like the printer manufacturers trying to stop you using generic ink by sneaking microchips into their cartridges?

Jon.
*nod*  The real problem is not that Linux is hard to install: Windows is just
as damn hard, and just as painful, for non-technical users.[1]

The problem is that when you buy your machine it comes with Windows installed
for you, by someone else, and you don't have to worry about it.

         Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Heck, it sucks for technical folks too, a lot of the time.