A while back I approached our local Adult education office re basic linux courses, particularly for seniors and I spoke to the guy who ran the computing section.

Basically, the opinion is that if people have access to a computer it will be running Windows, and any family or friend that they will depend on for help will only be familiar with windows.

Unfortunately it seems to me that its more like protecting your job because you are only qualified in Windows. This applies to shops, many IT people ( in my working experience - never used IT Support myself), magazine publishers etc.

There's a better chance of converting school kid if you can get to them, but only if they have a non-govt issued laptop/pc.