Hi
I have a customer who has indulged in extreme stupid stuff.

> root@bol04:/home/stm# dpkg -r x11vnc x11vncdata
> dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching x11vnc
> dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching x11vncdata

but

x11vnc : Depends: x11vnc-data (= 0.9.12-1build1) but 0.9.13-1.1 is to be
installed

So I want to scrap and rebuild the package database. All my googling says 'you
don't really want to do that'
I do!
all the --set-selections etc options don't do anything for me

Short of suggesting he climb to the top of the tower, dagga clenched between
teeth ...
Is there any sane (telling him to manually edit the status file is not sane!)
way to recover?

James