Hi James Linder wrote:,

> I have a customer who has indulged in extreme stupid stuff.
> So I want to scrap and rebuild the package database.
> Is there any sane (telling him to manually edit the status file is
> not sane!) way to recover?

It may not be sane, but it's probably better than trying to "scrap and
rebuild" the package database... I'm not even sure that's a thing, much
less a sane thing.

You don't even need to edit much in there, just go to the x11vnc package
and take x11vnc-data out of the Depends / Recommends line (and possibly
vice versa as well). Once you break the loop, dpkg and even apt will
start working again. You can then use them to --reinstall the packages
that are broken.

Jiri
--
Jiří Baum <j...@baum.com.au>