On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM, James Linder <j...@tigger.ws> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a customer who has indulged in extreme stupid stuff.
>
> > root@bol04:/home/stm# dpkg -r x11vnc x11vncdata
> > dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching x11vnc
> > dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching x11vncdata
>
> but

> x11vnc : Depends: x11vnc-data (= 0.9.12-1build1) but 0.9.13-1.1 is to be
> installed

held broken packages? I'm not sure what that means exactly, if it means they
were held manually, unhold them I would suggest.

I haven't fixed a broken debian package system for a while, but first I
would
disable any third party sources, then apt-get update.

if
dpkg --get-selections | grep 'hold$'
is blank, then try

apt-get -f install

also,

dpkg remove --force-depends somepackage
apt-get -f install

force depends to fix a broken system is fine, it's just not fine to use it
to install a package
on a working system though. (hello red hat of old)

> So I want to scrap and rebuild the package database. All my googling says
> 'you don't really want to do that'
> I do!
> all the --set-selections etc options don't do anything for me

set selections doesn't change any packages immediately, you then have to
run something to have
the selections acted on, it used to be dselect, I'm not sure what it is
today.

> Short of suggesting he climb to the top of the tower, dagga clenched
> between teeth ...
> Is there any sane (telling him to manually edit the status file is not
> sane!) way to recover?

you can probably fix it with dpkg and apt commands.