On Sat, June 7, 2014 7:58 pm, Amos Shapira wrote:
> I'd suspect environmental issues like temp, power brown/black out, dust
> accumulation. Lacking any more specifics I'd grep the logs for errors, but
> don't have much hope.

Amos, thanks

fwiw, to be more precise, first couple of reboots stopped after PCI
device/IRQ list;

I then told BIOS to update the ESCD setting, now got PCI listing followed
by "Updating ESCD...Success", but, still not going further

couldn't see anything 'bad' in BIOS so finally tried 'fail safe', and,
voila, boot OK

then, set back to 'optimal', boots perfect

(and, to add insult to injury, looking at cacti charts (which is what this
machine is meant to be) I realized cacti hasn't charted any data for
nearly 12 month... (pings to local devices, and the like))

>> I have an old (ancient?) P4 with 30mb+40mb IDE HDs, it's just used as a

must wait for next council cleanup so can pick up something more modern, I
think