Ok, I think what I want is to set the state of the partitions to down:

http://slurm.schedmd.com/scontrol.html#OPT_SPECIFICATIONS-FOR-CREATE,-UPDATE,-AND-DELETE-COMMANDS,-PARTITIONS

ie,
 - no newly queued jobs will be started on that partition
 - slurm will continue to accept jobs for that partition
 - jobs running on that partition will continue to do so

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
way."

- Grace Hopper