Most of my ideas have revolved around creating file systems on-the-fly as part
of the job prolog and destroying them in the epilog.  The issue with that
mechanism is that formatting a file system (e.g. mkfs.<type>) can be
time-consuming.  E.g. formatting your local scratch SSD as an LVM PV+VG and
allocating per-job volumes, you'd still need to run a e.g. mkfs.xfs and mount
the new file system.

ZFS file system creation is much quicker (basically combines the LVM + mkfs
steps above) but I don't know of any clusters using ZFS to manage local file
systems on the compute nodes :-)

One could leverage XFS project quotas.  E.g. for Slurm job 2147483647:

[root@r00n00 /]# mkdir /tmp-alloc/slurm-2147483647
[root@r00n00 /]# xfs_quota -x -c 'project -s -p /tmp-alloc/slurm-2147483647
2147483647' /tmp-alloc
Setting up project 2147483647 (path /tmp-alloc/slurm-2147483647)...
Processed 1 (/etc/projects and cmdline) paths for project 2147483647 with
recursion depth infinite (-1).
[root@r00n00 /]# xfs_quota -x -c 'limit -p bhard=1g 2147483647' /tmp-alloc
[root@r00n00 /]# cd /tmp-alloc/slurm-2147483647
[root@r00n00 slurm-2147483647]# dd if=/dev/zero of=zeroes bs=5M count=1000
dd: error writing ‘zeroes’: No space left on device
205+0 records in
204+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.92232 s, 367 MB/s

   :

[root@r00n00 /]# rm -rf /tmp-alloc/slurm-2147483647
[root@r00n00 /]# xfs_quota -x -c 'limit -p bhard=0 2147483647' /tmp-alloc

Since Slurm jobids max out at 0x03FFFFFF (and 2147483647 = 0x7FFFFFFF) we have
an easy on-demand project id to use on the file system.  Slurm tmpfs plugins
have to do a mkdir to create the per-job directory, adding two xfs_quota
commands (which run in more or less O(1) time) won't extend the prolog by much.
Likewise, Slurm tmpfs plugins have to scrub the directory at job cleanup, so
adding another xfs_quota command will not do much to change their epilog
execution times.  The main question is "where does the tmpfs plugin find the
quota limit for the job?"