Christian,

Somehow I recall that zeroing the disk would not suffice. See:
https://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/SmartOS+Clean+Re-install

In particular, import and destroy whatever zone was on that disk before…

You might need to boot with the „noinstall“ boot option by selecting the
corresponding line when GRUB is displayed.

Peter