On 01/20/2018 08:22 AM, Chris Ferebee wrote:
Am 19.01.2018 um 20:00 schrieb Jim Wiggs <jim.wi...@gmail.com>:

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I was not aware that ZIL is now
recoverable.  My experience with ZFS for KVM workloads has been solely on
Linux, using ZVOLs for my disk images.  The word there was always *mirror your
ZIL* or you risked losing the last ~5 seconds worth of writes if your ZIL
device died.
The concern I’ve read about is that you may be running smoothly with an SSD
slog, have a power failure, and find, when you reboot, that the SSD was
actually dead, it just hadn’t stopped moving yet – so it never comes back on
line. I have no idea whether that is a common failure mode.

I had that happen once... That was back when removing a dead log device was nigh on impossible.  That is no longer the case thank goodness!  Those systems that used to have mirrored logs no have them striped, which give a significant performance boost.  Oh, they all have power loss protection which I still consider vital.

Cheers,
Ian.