On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Marsell K <mars...@joyent.com> wrote:

> > If that weren't the case, I wouldn't have done what I was doing, because
> I'd be reducing the lifetime of my ZIL devices by 90% or more.
>
> I don't follow. You will reduce your slog's SSD endurance by using it for
> other things too, which is apparently what you're trying to do?

Yes, but the "other things" I want to use it for, L2ARC, are strongly
read-intensive.  Only P/E cycles induce wear on an SSD, not repeated reads
of data that's already in the device.  So, the vast majority of the "wear"
on an SSD that's split between ZIL and L2ARC is going to come from the ZIL
side of things.  I haven't done the numbers, but I'd strongly suspect that
ZIL would generate at least an order of magnitude more writes to the device
than L2ARC, over the same time period.

In any case, I will merely point out that Joyent has never used mirrored
> SSDs for the slog, albeit we made sure to use a quality SSD. You can see a
> series of Joyent BOMs here: https://eng.joyent.com/manufacturing/bom.html

So, what  happens to that last ~5 seconds of data that you *thought* was
safely committed to your zpool if your non-mirrored quality SSD does in
fact glitch out and die, never to be seen again?