Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 28.12.2008, 15:57 +0300 schrieb Nikita V. Youshchenko:

> > > I believe this should be handled somehow at packaging level - to avoid
> > > installation of newer framework when installed packages depend on
> > > older version.
> >
> > this is not easy until FSO has a consistent versioning theme (e.g.
> > always compatible if the z in x.y.z changes, but not if the y changes).
> >
> > Currently, we could depend on the exact version of frameworkd (needs new
> > uploads of all other packages), or the new frameworkd would conflict
> > against all previous other packages. That might be ok for now, but is
> > not clean either.
>
> Situation of a library with unstable API is unfortunately not too uncommon,
> and there are existing practicies on how to handle that.
>
> Possible way is to embed some sort of 'API version' inside package name,
> and increase that each time when API changes in not-backward-compatible
> way.

right, but that as well is a lot of work, which I think is too much for
something that’s still under heavy development such as fso-frameworkd.

Also, for fso-frameworkd (where only one version can run at a time),
different packages names such as for shared libraries are not the right
thing to do – the reason why you prefer that for libraries over strict
dependencies is that you _want_ to install two different versions at a
time. (At least, that’s my impresion)

Greetings,
Joachim

--