Luca Capello schrieb:
> Hi Nils!
Hi Luca!

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:25:28 +0100, Nils Faerber wrote:
>> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schrieb:
>>> I just release a refresh of FSO milestone5 to fix some bugs that crept
>>> into the release, notably the "not working on bootloaders that mount the
>>> root partition read-only".
> [...]
>> Apart from that I also miss the auto-upping of the usb-net interface
>> that used to work with MS4.1.
> I have experienced the same in the past, especially after having flashed
> a new image (both Om and FSO ones).  This is usually solved with a
> reboot, i.e. the first time you boot after the flashing USB is not
> automatically upped, while the second (and later on) times it is.
> However, this was on GTA02.

Sorry, does not help...

>> As a side note, I tried to figure out a minor issue I found with
>> suspend/resume... when suspending something changes to text-console
>> before actually suspending the device. I think this is not necessary
>> with GTA01, maybe it is with GTA02. Where could I possibly disable this?
>> I could not find any suspend script doing that. I think it would simply
>> look nicer (so it is just cosmetics) if the screen would not change to
>> textmode before being switched off (same for the reusme case first
>> shwoing the text console and then the GUI). And it may also speed up
>> things a little...
> FWIW, while I agree that it would be nicer to have not the switch to the
> console, on my Debian sid uswsusp does the same if you do not have
> Splashy.

Switching to text console on PCs is kind of a safekeeper in order to
keep the graphics card and X-server happy sind switching from and to X
will reinitialise the graphics mode in most cases. This can help if your
suspend/resume is buggy.

But here we have an embedded system which is pretty much aware of
everthing inside and no crappy BIOS code.

I could still think of reasons to do, e.g. with Glamo being in the way,
if this has some nastynesses requiring to reinit the GUI system (I do
not have a GTO02 so cannot comment here). But also there this should be
solvable in a nicer way.

On the GTA01 the framebuffer is a dumb framebuffer inside the S3C SOC
and switching from X11 to "text" console is not actually switching
anything but only exchanging the memory location of the X11 framebuffer
for the text console buffer. So this is in my opinion completely useless
- on GTA01 at least. It only causes one detail that might be of
interest, namely an X-server redraw of everything. This might be needed
if the framebuffer contents does not survive the suspend/resume
(although here I would not understand why this should be the case?).

Anyway force redrawing X on resume would still be much more desireable
than this X-to-text-to-X switching.

Hopefully I will have some time over the weekend to pull a matching
kernel tree and try to find the guilty driver ;)

> Thx, bye,
> Gismo / Luca
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de