On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 02:17:39PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:

> Here the mixer settings you need to change (values in brackets):
>
> - Playback
>     (GTA01) Neo Mode [GSM Handset | GSM Headset]
>     (GTA02) DAPM Headset Mic Switch [ON]
>     (both) one of
>              Left Mixer Sidetone Playback Sw [ON]
>              Right Mixer Sidetone Playback S [ON]
>
> - Capture
>     (both) ALC Mixer Mic 1 [ON]

Yay, it WORKS! ♥
Now it's just a matter of automating setting up the mixer and writing
some convenient code around it.

> With this configuration, however, the problem is that xev reports the
> following event if the headset button is not pressed:
>
>   KeyRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
>       root 0x3d, subw 0x0, time 1856476, (236,274), root:(240,320),
>       state 0x0, keycode 127 (keysym 0xff13, Pause), same_screen YES,
>       XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>       XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> Should not be the contrary, i.e. reporting a Play event when the button
> is kept pressed?  Anyway, I think I would stop here and go back to other
> issues, now ;-)

It is indeed the same at the input level:

# input-events 4
/dev/input/event4
   bustype : BUS_HOST
   vendor  : 0x1
   product : 0x1
   version : 256
   name    : "Neo1973 Buttons"
   phys    : "neo1973kbd/input0"
   bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_SW

waiting for events
[here I press it]
18:12:48.971987: EV_KEY KEY_PAUSE released
18:12:48.972274: EV_SYN code=0 value=0

[here I release it]
18:12:51.817171: EV_KEY KEY_PAUSE pressed
18:12:51.817396: EV_SYN code=0 value=0

But finally, I've managed to put together a prototype tool for mapping
using the headset to set and dictate waypoints while keeping the
FreeRunner in my pocket and only taking it out to look at tangogps.

Hooray!

Blog post with link to the prototype:
http://www.enricozini.org/2009/osm/audiomap/

Ciao,