On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 04:35:57PM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:09:33AM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > do you also care about replacing the (still) proprietary pulseaudio
> > > plugin that manages proper audio routing once a call is initiated?
> > > without a replacement for it one still needs the proprietary nokia
> > > stack to operate the phone.
> > > or dont you plan to replace the maemo stack by fso having it still
> > > running in the back?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I haven't took a deeper look into the other non-free parts yet. I
> > plan to start by running FSO together with the Nokia stuff until
> > it is ready to run standalone. So at the end I want the other parts
> > free, too.
> >
> > You are talking explicitly about audio routing - they use the
> > following chip: Texas Instruments TWL4030. This one is also used in
> > the Palm Pre according to the FSO pages. Support for this chip will
> > be needed in fso-deviced. The kernel driver is already mainline
> > since 2.6.32 btw :)
> >
> > PS: I recommend to read [1]. It's really interesting :)
> >
> > [1] http://natisbad.org/N900/n900-commented-hardware-specs.html
> >
> > -- Sebastian
>
> Regarding n900 & something-other-than-nokia, you may be interested in what
> we are trying to do at
> https://garage.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/moebian-devel
>
> Nikita

Hi Nikita,

That sounds interesting :) If I got it right you plan to create a
new Distribution for N900 using the normal Debian archive and an
additional repository containing the stuff from Nokia? Which kernel
do you plan to use? Since almost everything is upstream it should be
possible to use a proper Debian package, shouldn't it? Probably by
creating a -omap3 kernel. I guess it's a good base to migrate step
by step away from Nokia's proprietary stuff.

P.S.: I'm in contact with the author of 0xFFFF because of another
package I'm maintaining for him. He plans to improve N900 support
in future (he already owns one, too).

-- Sebastian