I don't know..I think all the things we feed to our
livestock to make the meat leaner and more
tender...and to make our crops grow prettier and less
buggy...all leads us to having cancer later on...

Laurie
--- Tim Harder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I personally don't think that genetically modified
> food  poses a danger
> to humans.
> There is absolutely *NO* evidence that it does.  One
> of the main crops
> that have
> been totally transformed for the good are soybeans.
> They now have
> soybeans
> that you can plant (drill) right into the ground and
> then be sprayed
> for weeds
> *after* they have come up.  The soybeans are immune
> to the spray that
> kills all
> other vegetation.  This means that the farmer has
> way less tilling to
> do to the
> field which saves money, fuel, and erosion, which is
> good for the
> environment.
>
> The fact that Greenpeace is behind this scare tactic
> should tell you
> something.
> People have been manipulating the genetics of crops
> for centuries....
> They
> are just getting really good at it now with the
> advent of cellular
> biology.
>
> As far as "do countries have the right to keep these
> crops from their
> shelves"
> without violating the WTO....  I have no idear.
> That is a different
> kettle of fish.
>

> On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 04:21 PM, Charles
> wrote:
>
> > Hot-Button Issue: Genetically Modified Foods
> >
> > Can a WTO member nation ban the import of
> genetically modified foods,
> > or does such a prohibition amount to an illegal
> barrier to free trade?
> > Seattle will host the showdown.
> >
> > by Jen Soriano
> > Nov. 24, 1999
> >

> <image.tiff>
> >
> > Do countries have the right to keep genetically
> modified foods off of
> > their supermarket shelves? The issue has sparked
> popular protests and
> > diplomatic fireworks in recent months -- and is
> emerging as a key
> > issue for the World Trade Organization's Seattle
> summit.
> >
> > Genetically engineered crops can produce higher
> yields, create their
> > own natural pesticides and result in more
> nourishing food -- but
> > critics say they also have the potential to cause
> vast damage to the
> > environment and human health. The issue strikes a
> visceral chord:
> > European Greenpeace activists have taken to
> hacking down swaths of
> > genetically modified corn and soybeans, a French
> farm activist and
> > friends in rubber fish masks began a series of
> rallies outside
> > Washington supermarkets this week, and more
> [...]
=== message truncated ===>

=====
I wanted a perfect ending... Now, I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't
rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about
not knowing, having to change, taking the moment, and making the best of it, without
knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.
--Gilda Radner