Ok, I'm just using the way my parents did things and the way my husbands parents did things. No matter what I did, my parents punished me, even if I was trying to do the right thing. If I had called them and told them I was drunk and needed a ride home (which is btw what they always said to do) I wouldn't have gone out ever again. Even when they always said if I ever wanted to be put on birth control pills to come to them. I went to them....what happened. I was grounded for 6 months. My husband would call his parents and tell them he couldn't get home and they would come pick him up and he might be grounded for one weekend but that was it. Usually not even that much. But b/c he knew he didn't have to hide it, he honestly never drank that much when he was out. I on other hand, did everything I could just to spite my parents for saying one thing then doing another. I swore I would never be that kind of parent. Hell my aunt has a 19 y/o daughter and from the time she was 16, my aunt told her that if she wanted to drink or if any of her friends wanted to drink that they could do it at her house. She informed the parents of the other kids of this and they would all come in and give my aunt their car keys and stay the whole night. B/C they were able to do this, they hardly ever did it. Most of the time when teenagers drink it's b/c they know their parents wouldn't approve and most try to do anything they can to piss off their parents just to spite them. To this day, my cousin has only been drunk twice in her life and both times were at her own house under supervision. And before you say anything, my aunt did this b/c her best friend in high school was killed by a drunk driver, her own boyfriend that she got in the car with. If you know they are going to do it, isn't it better to make sure they do it safely.
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:09 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [Sndbox] My stance on underage drinking

Actually, I'd punish the teenager too.  I get them home safely first, but you better believe the punishment would be forthcoming.  It would likely be *mitigated* by them having the sense to call me instead of driving drunk, but even that bit of intelligence wouldn't get them out of trouble only lessen the sentence.