No, it's a combination of muscle strength in many places, lung capacity, bone structure, and to some degree, intelligence for trainability. I remember reading that
race horses have essentially reached the limit of equine performance because they have reached the point where they are physiologically limited by lung capacity.
Human athletes have not yet reached that point.

I have never heard the "lung capacity" theory before. I do know that the Thoroughbred is the fastest animal on earth over the distance of one mile.

If a genetic trait is recessive, then that horse has to possess that recessive gene in both copies or it would not be expressed.

That is my understanding as well....