Tim Harder wrote:
I have never heard the "lung capacity" theory before.  I do know that the Thoroughbred is the fastest animal on earth over the distance of one mile.
It was discussed in an article that was speculating on just how much room for improvement—i.e., newly broken world records—that various kinds of athletes have.  Horses have reached the limit of genetic improvement because now increases in lung capacity and other parameters are offset by disadvantages of inbreeding.  Humans don't have that particular problem, and so they still have more room for improvement in certain sports.  In some, however, humans are nearing their maximum potential as well; I believe one of the examples cited there was the mile run.

Best wishes and God bless,
Lowell