I suppose everyone's userbases have differenent requirements.  An ISP or private enterprise might worry about false postives on "horny teenagers" and "penis enlargement", but for our local government agency, it causes problems.

Corby

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 5:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [sniffer] Surprising missed spam

Corby,

Personally, I'm a fan of leaving the generic stuff out due to the potential of false positives.  Those of us that are using Sniffer in addition to other spam blocking mechanisms can afford to lose some Sniffer hits on such phrases because they will be picked up by other means almost all of the time.  Including such phrases however would increase our false positive rate without a measurable benefit in spam capture rates.  I have even asked Pete to remove some phrase hits from my own rulebase for exactly this reason.

Matt

Agid, Corby wrote:

Hello,

I was surprised recently by some spam that got through without getting caught by the sniffer.   We've been getting some plain text messages that have obvious spam words in the subject line.   For example, a plain text message with "horny teenagers" came through.  The content was also very spammy, but all plain text.   I tried sending myself a few messages with standard spam phrases and none of them tripped any sniffer rules.

Am I missing something?

Corby

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/