Hello Sniffer Folks,

<http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Betas/MessageSniffer2-3.0i8-Distribution.zip>

  This version radically adjusts the client timing when a persistent
  server is detected. This new logic avoids a potentially catastrophic
  failure when a system is under EXTREMELY heavy loads.

  The prior versions used a standard peer-server timing model with the
  persistent server. This was ok while the persistent server captured
  a single job at a time. The enhanced persistent server captures all
  available jobs in a batch and then processes all of them before
  making it's next "loop" through the workspace. As a result, a system
  under extremely heavy loads might reach a condition where the batch
  processing or "loop" time approaches the length of the standard
  "Client Death Clock" - - about 8 seconds. If this condition occurs
  some of the clients will "defect" and abandon the server to process
  their own jobs. This causes the overloaded server to process work
  more slowly so that additional batches also take 8 or more seconds
  thus causing additional clients to defect until the entire advantage
  of the persistent server is lost and converted to an additional
  delay in processing. Under these conditions an overloaded server is
  usually unable to recover without stopping all message processing.

  The new timing model allows clients to wait for 30 seconds if they
  have detected a persistent server. As a result the persistent server
  is always able to process a batch before any clients will defect. In
  testing on our server we seldom see a batch take longer than 10
  seconds even under the most extreme conditions. At this point the
  operations on the server become slow enough that additional jobs
  arrive at a much reduced rate so that a natural limiting occurs.
  After such a spike the server recovers, even though it is obviously
  overloaded.

  (Our testing server is a P2/450 w/ 256KRam, 2x IDE33 HD in software
  (NT4) mirror raid, processing about 30K messages per day - almost all
  spam. Nominally Message Sniffer processes a message in under 200ms
  on this server, however under heavy loads the processing time can
  become quite large. Also, this system uses the most aggressive
  rulebase settings. After the upgrade to i8 on this server it has
  sustained a throughput of 42msg/sec for approximately 6 hours now
  (still going) without reaching a breakdown condition and while
  remaining characteristically responsive to other requests (pop3,
  imap, webmsg... 42ms/sec is about 60K msg/day if sustained. The
  additional load in this case is due to our gateway server unloading
  a heavy backlog of messages after some adjustments to it's queue
  handling characteristics.)

  It is unlikely that production mail servers will be operated in such
  extreme conditions but now if they are Message Sniffer is ready to
  deal with them gracefully. After all, planned or not - these things
  do happen and critical servers should not fail no matter the
  conditions (if possible).

  This version has taken a real beating on our server today. Please
  let us know how it does on your systems. I am anxious to move
  forward with the next round of updates to the code and then finally
  to publish this new version as production ready once enough positive
  reports have been received.

  I am particularly interested to hear from MDaemon users who should
  realize a multi-fold improvement in processing speed by using this
  new version of persistent server. This is one of the critical goals
  of these modifications and preliminary responses support that we
  have achieved this goal.

  I look forward to any and all comments.

Pete McNeil (Madscientist)
President, MicroNeil Research Corporation
Chief SortMonster (www.sortmonster.com)

PS: The remaining updates for this next version (2-3.1) will be the
addition of minor filtering capabilities that will largely be of
internal use, such as masking rules, and some message condition
tagging and image/file hashing functions.