I'd say: install a trial version! We've been using Mdaemon since version 2
(now at 7.50beta) and it's come a long way.

In contrast to several other products, there's direct contact with the
developers of MD. Bugs are fixed as they are reported. New versions come out
every few weeks with added features (if you're running beta's, otherwise
ervy few months). It's way ahead in out-pf-the-box spam fighting, with
integrated SpamAssassin, RBL, SURBL, SPF, Tarpitting, Automatic IP
screening, reverse lookups, antivirus, hashcash etc.

Furthermore, there's good features if you're running gateways. Stuff like
LDAP, bandwidth throttling, automatic gateway creation etc make this a
wonderful tool! (This is what I'm using Mdeamon for. Just buy a 6-user
professional license and make hundreds of gateways...)

It supports the default stuff like SMTP, POP, Multipop, DomainPOP, POP
before SMTP, AUTH, IMAP etc. Also the integrated webmail client WorldClient
is very good. There's different theme's for PC's, PDA's etc. The Lookout
theme is the best web e-mail client, besides the web version of outlook.

Furthermore there's groupware (not so good yet but a complete rewrite is in
the making), WebAdmin (integrated administration thru the web), extensive
logging, unlimited domains (pro version), and don't forget the very powerful
(yet single threaded) content filter!

There's just too much to tell... I love it, and best of all: it ain't
expensive! My setup (which executes a lot of external stuff from the content
filter) peaks at 7000 messages per hour per system (P4 2.6HT with 512 MB).

If you want an example of the quality and speed of the support, check out
the beta forum at http://lists.altn.com.

Regards,
Michiel Prins
Reject.nl