Pete,

FWIW, it appears that I just had a bad download. I re-downloaded it, and
it's running w/o errors. Thx.

---
Marc

MH> I downloaded the sniffer demo a couple of days ago and finally installed
it
MH> to run as an external test w/Declude today. I ran it all morning w/o any
MH> problems. This afternoon, I downloaded a new version of the snf file:
MH> http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Demo/snfrv2r3.snf and it
appeared
MH> to be a newer file (larger size and newer date/time stamp). But when I
MH> swapped the old file with the new by renaming them I got a
ERROR_RULE_AUTH
MH> error in the log. Am I doing something wrong?

I am a bit confused - the demo rulebase should have been the same name
in both cases. At any rate, renaming a rulebase file breaks the
encryption used to validate the contents. Each license ID and
authentication code constitute a unique matched pair - neither work
without the other, and the contents of the rulebase file are checked
with a hash that is seeded with license ID and authentication string.

The license ID for the demo is snfrv2r3. Please be sure you have the
most recent software and rulebase from our try-it page.

MH> This may be a moot point (at least for me) since our order was faxed to
you
MH> earlier today and I hope to be setting up an auto-update routine
tomorrow.
MH> But, I was curious as I'm trying to understand how sniffer works.

That's great! I'll check on your order's progress soon.

If you have further questions please let us know.