On Tuesday, December 6, 2005, 2:13:43 PM, William wrote:

WVH> Pete,

WVH> How about just creating some accounts that are commonly targeted by
WVH> dictionary attacks, but that were never actually valid accounts on our
WVH> server? I could redirect all of them to a common mailbox. There are also a
WVH> few other "common" (non-role) addresses that we do not use, which always
get
WVH> targeted by spammers. I am thinking of sales@, info@, etc. I have
WVH> accumulated quite a list of common dictionary attack names from my logs. I
WVH> wouldn't have to seed the addresses anywhere. They get hit just by virtue
of
WVH> how common they are.

That is definitely another good strategy -- more limited and better
structured than using a "nobody" account.

The only caveat is making sure that nobody on the outside would ever
have reason to expect an info@ or sales@ address existed... sometimes
folks will guess. If this happens, it's usually not a fatal problem,
but it's worth thinking about on a case-by-case basis.

Do you have a histogram for your list? That would be interesting to
see.