Michael,

Buy the 347, the 642 will not give you all the features you will want down
the road when you want to do full house 6 servo planes.  The 347 is out of a
date but still a very good radio.  If has not been service in a while I would
suggest sending in to JR and have them install a new Lithium battery and
retune the module.  You will then have a radio capable of almost any glider
scenario you might encounter.  Just my two cents worth.  BTW,  I still use my
347 as much as any other radio and I have a 388 and a brand new 8103.

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS