> I agree very much with Bill Swingle.  An epp model with large amounts
> of drag at the nose will require ballasting to penetrate and will
> probably fly like a dog.  Also, with ballasting to overcome drag, even
> on a heavier wind day, you might as well be flying a fiberglass model
> at that point.

You obviously haven't tried it and are operating under a misconception. You
would be surprised at what a "Blunt" nose
actually does to the air in front of it and as it passes by.
The blunt nose argument only holds water above the speeds at which we are
flying. At our speeds there can actually be LESS drag
from a properly shaped blunt nose.
There are some radial designs like a gee bee or bison that push it
beyond the limit and would be like flying a school bus.
In real life they had huge props to easily overcome the ridiculous
amount of frontal area.
As far as glass is concerned, I have put my corsair (the same one I still
fly) into the ground at around 80mph. from a botched catapult launch from a
monofilament winch that has folded numerous composite ships. The motor was
stalled when I let go.
The corsair weighs 36oz. and it hit at about a 35 to 45deg. angle inverted
and leading with the left wing.
The damage was a stripped aileron servo, a delaminated spar which was fixed
with CA and some needle nose pliers as clamps. and the lead in the nose
ripped out.
It was repaired in about 20 minutes. I don't think glass would have

The bottom line is, if you haven't tried a radial design, dont let it scare
you. (unless it is ridiculously stubby) It will fly great, but not in
shallow
light lift, and that is more of a loading issue than a drag issue.

         Mark Mech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    www.aerofoam.com