Tom,
 The discus method allows a full sized hlg to be tossed without dragging
a wing tip. The small glass errs, tactical errs, and such were designed to
be tossed with an under arm throw almost straight up. The Red Herring is
also thrown this way. Sherman uses the discus method to toss his tactical
err.

 When I first tried the discus thing in summer 1998 I had to mount a tab
under the underside of the wing at the poly break so I could hang on without
breaking off the tip section. I soon designed a wing that could tolerate
the stress and the tab thing is not used anymore. Incidently my UpLink-58
is 58 inches - not 55.
--
Dick Barker
Seattle, WA