>But I've seen mention of DSing in some older (70's) hangliding books by a
guy
>named Pagen I think.  He's from up around State College.

Yeah, he (Dennis Pagen) talks about it in his first hang gliding
meteorology book, and describes exploiting a shear similar to what we use
for DSing behind hills, except his shear was horizontal and he concluded it
was for day-dreaming purposes only. He also talks about albatross DSing,
but describes it as relying on shear related to crests of ocean waves...I
think current albatross DS theory doesn't involve ocean (water) waves.

David
Berkeley CA USA