I saw a TV show filmed at North Sails showing how they make one of those A
Cup mainsails. They form a solid plug of wood, or similar, then lay laser
pre-cut pieces of kevlar, etc on the plug and sew it together with a giant
moving sewing needle on a CNC controlled machine in 3D.

The amazing thing to me is how close they can haul the sail in and not
stall it. They call the "foils". Go DC!

Rich Hollyday