From: Mark Drela [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:52 PM
To: soaring@airage.com
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Push Rods

I've done quite a bit of soldering with stainless steel,
since most of my pushrods and my RDS hardware is SS.
I simply use acid flux, aka "tinner's fluid", together
with ordinary soft solder and a normal soldering iron.
Nothing fancy.  The acid flux is hydrochloric acid with
zinc chloride salt -- not really toxic, just corrosive.

I thoroughly clean the SS with clean 320 grid sandpaper,
apply the flux, and touch with the molten solder.
About half the time the solder doesn't grab completely,
just in some spots.  No problem... I just keep applying flux
to the piece (while hot), until it tins completely.
Two or three tries usually does it.

If you're worried about corrosion, a good trick is to first
tin the SS using the acid flux, and clean it completely.
Then you can use regular rosin flux to make the actual joint.

I never use "high strength" solders which require a torch,
because a torch will turn hard piano wire or most hard SS
into soft annealed coat-hanger material, which usually
defeats the purpose of the strong solder.  This is not
a problem with soft solder.
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are generally NOT in text format