In a message dated 9/6/2006 11:28:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
As for me, I am going to go as far as I can with what I got.
Well said!  The LSF program is an offer, not a mandate.  One can pursue as much or as little of it as one wishes (and many have been quite comfortable with that!).  The question at hand is whether a less demanding/more convenient soaring achievement program should be offered by the LSF (or somebody) AND whether this would constructively advance the RC Soaring sport (ie, is it WORTH the trouble to run it!).

The current contest environment is indeed experiencing lowering participation, in large part (I think)  because the entry path has become steep and expensive (as you very accurately observed).  I personally think this can be improved at the club level by providing competition opportunities more suited to what the new guy/sport flyer has/can afford.  Some will catch the fever and move up (maybe), but at least more will get hands-on exposure and make up their minds on the basis of experience rather than opinion

Enuf - my club is running a regional contest this weekend, and we sincerely hope, and will bust our butts, such that  all of our 40-50 entries, representing novices to (really!) World Class pilots, all have a really great time!  Good Lift!